Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Not the color of our skin...

Hello Everyone!
What a wonder-filled day we had today in first grade.  We were able to set some time aside and talk about the importance of  understanding what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. stood for, his dream for his children, his dream for everyone.  After reading a few books about his background, and what life was like during the 50's and 60's, and learning a little song, I wanted to be sure the kids really "got" the intention, and how blessed we are to be living in an age when we can all live together in peace and equality. 
We listened to a piece of Dr. Kings's speech, especially the part "not by the color of their skin, but the content of their character."  We then looked at each other and realized each and everyone of us is different on the outside, but not so different on the inside.
 Then I used many different kinds of apples to show how they come in many different shapes, colors, sizes, etc.  I proceeded to cut them open cross-ways to reveal the beautiful star on the inside of each and every one of them.  All the apples looked so special, but at the same time, they looked equal on the inside!  Hmmmm...



Look at those beautiful colors!!


Then the kids went back to seats and wrote, drew and colored their interpretation of the lesson Dr. King was teaching.  Beautiful!  We want to be like Dr. King!


This turned out to one of the kids favorite lessons so far!  I think they will remember it, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I am so thankful for each of these precious little hearts. I hope they continue to have a love of peace and equality.
Joyfully!
Nancy

5 comments:

  1. I would a copy of your MLK learning response form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I would a co[y of your MLK response sheets.
    Eileen Boyle
    Eileen2002@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. If you are offering the response sheets to us, I'd love a copy!
    ~Jane
    rsmiramo@smsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a beautiful lesson! I can see why it was a wonderful day! I am soooo gonna steal this from you! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!