Sunday, September 30, 2012

Flip or Kick the Sound!

Hello Everyone!
This week in first grade we will be practicing the "Accuracy" menu item on our CAFE board by "flipping" or "kicking" the sound.  As young readers use their knowledge of letter sounds to decode words, we will guide them through this new strategy.  While reading, if a word doesn't sound right, we will work on flipping or kicking a sound from the word and replacing it with another sound that letter can make.  We will work mainly on the vowel sounds this week, but will soon move to the hard and soft sound of g and c, the different sounds of y, and the vowel digraphs and diphthongs. I tried to find a cute song or rhyme to go along with either the "Flippy Dolphin" many primary teachers use, or my new "Kick" the sound strategy posters (You can get my Wranglin' Word Strategies posters here), but ended up just reworking a few different ones to fit our needs. Have a look!


 
click (or flip) here! :)

Happy flipping, kicking and reading!
Joyfully!
Nancy

6 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great song! I am a little worried some of my students might take kicking the sound a little too literal. lol Maybe I should stick with flip the sound. Than ks so much!!!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome!! I think I am going to have that song playing around in my head all day now :D Thank you so much for the printables!!
    Tina
    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found you today via a comment you made over at First Grade Blue Skies. Your blog is super fun and I look forward to checkin' in on what you have cookin' :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your generous ideas!! I love to sing in my room and this will be perfect for my struggling 2nd graders. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!