Monday, June 25, 2012

Reader's Response D5 Work on Writing

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for stopping by to take a peek!!  I've had some questions about what I do for the "Work on Writing" component of Daily 5.  Among other written expression activities, I reserve a lot of time for the kids to do a Reader's Response piece in their journals. This is another reason why I love Daily 5.  The opportunity to build wonderful connections between reading and writing is made so relevant.  What is learned in one area can be used to extend the other.  Reading and writing are so related on every level of literacy development!
Because of this, writing about what we have been reading can be purposeful, relevant, and functional! Sometimes I give the kids a prompt, and other times I let them choose from some response prompt cards. I just finished revamping my cards for the first semester. I will do more that deal with nonfiction reading later. Here are some pics of some of the journal entries, and a pic of the first few pages in my packet.

***If you are one of my kids reading this, print off the cards and get reading and writing.  I know it's summer, but what a better time to enjoy some good books and practice writing!!! 
 Love you!! Mrs. V!

My kids use a simple composition journal for most responses.







 for your 9 page free printable of our reader's response cards click here! :)

Have fun and Keep Reading and Writing!!
Joyfully!
Nancy


10 comments:

  1. These are just what I need! Thank you so much! I love your blog by the way! :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas! I can hardly wait to implement them in the fall. Your kindness is appreciated! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are phenomenal! I found your site through pintrest and it has been an enormous help. I need to send you cookies or something.
    I've had such a hard time with the Daily 5, but your site makes it approachable and lovely! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I just found your blog and am so incredibly excited! Your work is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your creations. I love these reader response cards, have them printed out and ready to go! Thank you, thank you!! -Marcella

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate all the fine work you have done and are doing!! Thank you also for all the creative ideas. It makes the learning day more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome!! Thank Thank Thank You!!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting the reader response cards-- they are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are excellent questions! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I ask dumb question? I am a homeschooling mom with a daughter starting first grade in the fall. We did kindergarten at home, and her reading and writing are good, but I don't think she is at a place yet to write and spell her thoughts out in a reading response journal. Are you writing for them, or is the handwriting yours only because it is an example? Can I just not imagine her writing full sentences like this because we haven't done it yet? Thanks for your help in advance! I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!