Sunday, June 10, 2012

Daily Five Word Work Choice

Hello Everyone!
Another post about Daily Five.  :) One of the kids' favorite parts of D5 is the Word Work component.  I do believe in giving the kids room to make their own choices, even when it comes to the word work activities. Research also tells us that a multi-sensory approach to anything will help reinforce objectives.  As far as word work goes, I'll discuss which words my kids choose to work on during the week at another time. Tonight I wanted to share the different choices to practice those words that may be on the menu for the day! I pick about three different menu items from the list daily. I'll put a clip next to the items.  Kids can choose any of the three but they have to stick to that activity for the duration of that "Daily." Most of the activities are self explanitory.  I've included some recording sheets in the unit.  Most of the time my kids will practice in their Word Work Notebooks (which is just a spiral), but you may need some of the recording sheets.  "Write Right on White" is simple practice on their mini white boards.  "Teacher Treat" is when I have come up with another fun way for them to practice that may go along with our chunks, eg. using Chips Ahoy cookies for working on oy words.  Most of the rest take very little prep work or explanantion after training and modeling the first time.  I love the consistency of having predictable choices! (I'll post some pics of the kids working later!)


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, or leave me a question.

Have fun!
Joyfully!
Nancy

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great word work ideas. How do your kids eat their words?
    www.peasefirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Graham! Thanks for the question! Eat your words is a fav! I use alphabits cereal. The kids find all the letters in each of their words and write their words. There is another post on april 18 called Eat Your Words which shows it in action! Look for another post called Froot Loops or Chips Ahoy where we use different edibles to practice special sounds!!
    Have fun!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this! I seem to struggle with word work and end up closing the center due to students not actually working right. Hopefully, the recording sheets will help with this next year. How many students do you allow at word work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas on word work, easy and fun. Thanks, from radiantteaching.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have saved my life! Starting D5 next year and I have been pinning away on your blog. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can no longer find alphabet cereal...where do you get it? I thought they stopped making it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous- I get my Alphabits at Market Street. Is there one near you? Can I help you get some? The kids love it!!
    Let me know!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just found your blog and am amazed! I've only begun to look at June's entries!!!! Let me just commend you for having everything Ive looked at so far available for FREE!!!! Thank you...it truly is helpful from 1 teacher to another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Thanks for those great ideas. Hop on over to my blog to link up for Word Work Linky Party!

    Mrshsresourceroom.blogspot.com
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is "Rollin'Rollin'Rollin'" and "Fancy Schmancy"? I love your ideas and Daily 5 is ahhh--mazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just found your blog and WOW you have some amazing resources. I am a teacher from New Zealand and I teach 5 - 8 year olds. Thank you for allowing me to access these wonderful resources and I know my class will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your wonderful classroom ideas. I am trying to implement more "hands-on" activities and your site has helped tremendously. You have inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are AMAZING! What does Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' entail please?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so very much for these fun, engaging word work center materials. I have incorporated some of the activities into my Daily 5 routines in the past, but did not have an efficient and consistent means of implementation. Also, my forms were certainly not as entertaining as yours! I am so excited to utilize these amazing resources. I truly cannot thank you enough!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so kind to share so much of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!