Monday, June 4, 2012

The Adventures of Star!

Hello Everyone!
I am constantly looking for ideas to make that important connection between home and school. One of my favorite ways to establish that connection is to send home our class mascot, Star, and have the kids write in a journal for him! I have done this for many years, and save the journals from year to year. The best thing is when I have a sibling of a former student have the opportunity to take Star home to the same family!  My kiddos write and take pictures for the journal, so the younger sibling sees Star with the family from maybe two or three years before!! Awesome connection!! Kiddos share Star's journal with the class on Mondays and he's off to visit with another family!
Star has gotten to do so many things over the years.  He goes to karate, dance, and soccer practice.  He goes to chili cook-offs and parties. He has been to several states,professional sports games, and visited many different relatives. I get to keep star over the summer and start a new journal every fall.








Star's Journal helps keep memories alive! :)

Such an easy, fun way to get that home/school connection going!! And as an added bonus, I get a peek into the lives of my kiddos, and they get a peek into mine! I like to include this pic when I start a new journal!
Thanks, kids for taking such good care of Star this year!!  I know he loved visiting you!  He can't wait to relax a little this summer and visit some more families next year!!

Joyfully!
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. We have a journal just like this for our "friend" PeeWee. He is a small stuffed tabby cat, that wears a Dodger shirt. He often returns with new labels covering the Dodger part:-)

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely precious! What a great idea! As far as them taking pictures? Do you allow them to take a disposable camera with them? Or do your parents take care of that? Thanks for sharing! :)

    Ms. Wilkie's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I used to send home a backpack full of goodies to my Star of the Week student, but this is much cooler. Thanks for sharing the idea!

    Heather at TeachItToday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a parent letter for STAR?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!